Arrival by plane
Airport Bern (BRN)
Bern has a small international airport Bern-Belp (BRN) with direct flights from Munich, Berlin Tegel, Hamburg and London City. The airport lies just a few kilometers south of the city. A taxi ride into the city costs approx. CHF 45.-
Bus 160 and 334 go from the airport to Belp in 8 minutes, from where S-Bahn suburban trains (lines S3, S31, S4 and S44) connect to Berne in 13 (S4, S44) to 21 (S3, S31) minutes. The ticket for the whole journey (bus + train) costs CHF 6.40.
Airport Zurich (ZRH)
Zurich Airport ist the largest international airport of Switzerland and the principal hub of Swiss International Air Lines.
- Zurich Airport railway station is located underneath the Airport Centre.
- Berne is connected to Zurich Airport (ZRH) in 75 minutes by direct intercity trains Zurich Airport - Zurich - Bern, with trains every 30 minutes. For time tables check the website of the Swiss Federal Railway.
Airport Basel (BSL, MLH)
Bern can be reached easily from "EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg".
- Connection from the airport to Basel Central Train Station (Basel SBB) by bus no 50 (Timetable).
- From Basel Central Train Station (Basel SBB) there are direct trains to Bern on the route Basel - Olten -Bern. For time tables check the website of the Swiss Federal Railway.
- Bus and train combined take 1h20min to Bern.
Many low-fare airlines offer attractive flights to Basel, like Airberlin, Easyjet and Ryanair. Check here for a list of airlines.
Airport Geneva (GVA)
Geneva Airport serves as a hub for Swiss International Air Lines, EasyJet and Ethiad Regional, and features a route network to many European metropolitan destinations as well as some long-haul routes to North America, China and the Middle East. Like Basel, it hosts many airlines which offer cheaper flights like EasyJet.
Direct trains (1h50min) connect Geneva to Bern on the route Geneva Airport - Geneva - Lausanne - Fribourg - Bern, with trains every 30 minutes. For time tables check the website of the Swiss Federal Railway.
Arrival by train: www.sbb.ch
Bern is connected to many European cities, like Milano, Paris, Hamburg and Berlin, as well as to all major cities and airports in Switzerland.
Seat reservation is not necessary.
Arrival by bus
Several bus companies offer cheap rates for travelling to Bern.
Arrival by car
Bern is connected with all major cities in Switzerland and neighboring countries by a dense network of well-developed highways and main roads.
Bern is easily reached by car. The Swiss capital has motorway links with Geneva, Zurich/Basel and the Bernese Oberland region.
Once you’ve arrived in Bern, we recommend leaving your car in one of the multistory parking garages and exploring the city center on foot. The old town is car-free, except for deliveries. However, please note that parking in Bern is very expensive.
GPS: 46.9527915°N / 7.4481958°E